Countries who require ETIAS

The European Union has made travel within its member states easier than ever for citizens of other countries. However, this does not mean that the EU is a free-for-all when it comes to travel. In order to maintain security and standardize procedures, the EU has implemented the ETIAS system.

The ETIAS system is a visa waiver program that allows citizens of certain countries to travel tomember states of the EU without a visa. However, not all countries are eligible for this program. In this blog post, we will be exploring which countries require ETIAS in order to travel to the EU.


There are a few requirements that you’ll need to meet in order to travel in the Schengen Zone:

  • You must have a valid passport or another acceptable travel document.
  • You must have sufficient means of support for your stay.
  • You must not pose a threat to public health or public safety.
  • You must not have been convicted of any serious crime.

If you meet all of these requirements, you’ll be able to apply for an ETIAS visa which will allow you to travel freely in the Schengen Zone.


As of right now, ETIAS is not required for airport transit. This may change in the future, but for the time being, you will not need ETIAS to transit through an airport in Europe.


All visitors to Europe, regardless of their nationality, will need to obtain an ETIAS visa waiver before they can enter the Schengen Area. The Schengen Area is comprised of 26 countries that have agreed to allow free movement of people between them.

To apply for an ETIAS visa waiver, you will need to have a valid passport from your country of citizenship. The passport must be valid for at least 3 months beyond your planned stay in the Schengen Area. You will also need to provide some personal information, such as your name, date of birth, and address. In addition, you will need to provide information about your travel plans, such as the dates you will be traveling and where you will be staying. Finally, you will need to pay the application fee, which is currently €60.


In order to apply for ETIAS, you will need a valid passport, credit or debit card, and email address. You will also need to provide some personal information, such as your name, date of birth, nationality, and contact information. Once you have all of this information ready, you can begin the application process online.


Unfortunately, if your ETIAS application is rejected, you will not be able to travel to the Schengen Area. There are a few reasons why your application may be rejected, including:

  • You do not meet the eligibility requirements (e.g. you have a criminal record)
  • You have provided false or incomplete information
  • You are considered to be a security risk

If your application is rejected, you will receive an email notification with the reason for the rejection. You can then reapply for ETIAS if you believe that the rejection was made in error.

Requirements For ETIAS – FAQ

What is ETIAS?

ETIAS is the European Traveller Information and Authorisation System, a new security measure to be implemented by the European Union in 2021. The system will require all travellers from visa-exempt countries to obtain an authorisation prior to travelling to Europe.

Who will need to obtain ETIAS?

All travellers from visa-exempt countries who do not currently need a visa to travel to Europe will need to obtain ETIAS. This includes citizens of the United States, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, among others.

What information will travellers need to provide?

When applying for ETIAS, travellers will be required to provide personal information such as their name, date of birth, address, and passport details. They will also need to answer questions about their health, criminal history, and security risk factors.

How much will ETIAS cost?

The ETIAS application fee is €7 per person. There is no fee for children under the age of 18 or adults over the age of 70.

How long is ETIAS valid for?

ETIAS authorisations are valid for 3 years or until the traveller’s passport expires, whichever comes first.

Share the article

Return to the most interesting content

Related Articles